Valhalla’s Havird is Bulldog on defense for Gardner-Webb
- Updated: October 11, 2015
2015 4-YEAR COLLEGE FOOTBALL STANDOUTS
By Bill Dickens
© East County Sports.com
EL CAJON (10-11-15) — SPENCER HAVIRD is hot in Boiling Springs, NC, as a secondary defender for Gardner-Webb University.
Gardner-Webb University of Boiling Springs, NC, upset No.15 ranked FCS Liberty University on Saturday (Oct. 10) with the former Valhalla standout making 6 tackles, 1 pass breakup, and a key fumble recovery on the Liberty 5-yard line in the last minute of the game with GWU leading 27-20, and finishing off the Flames, 34-20.
Havird has been the center of attention since arriving at GWU three years ago.
Havird is currently a Redshirt sophomore at Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs, NC. GWU is a FCS Division 1 school that plays in the Big South Conference.
Starting all 12 games last year as a RS freshman, Havird finished with 60 total tackles, 1 INT, 1 FR, 2 TFL’s and 5 PBU’s.
In starting the first 5 games this year, he is currently 1st on the team with 5 PBU’s and 1st in Sacks with 2 for -22yds. He is 2nd on team with 19 solo tackles and 2nd in TFL’s with 4.5. In addition, he has 32 total tackles, 1 INT and 1 Forced Fumble.
Other highlights from Saturday’s college action include:
Sacramento State senior kicker BRAD CORNISH chalked up field goal successes from 30 and 22 yards.
The Santana graduate kicked 4 field goals in his last two games.
He’s 8-for-11 for the season and 11-for-11 on PATs.
- Defensive end IAN SEAU, a product of Grossmont College, features deep athletic bloodlines. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defender, who routinely requires double team blocking, racked up 5 tackles in Nevada Reno’s 35-17 conquest of New Mexico.
Mount Miguel graduate RONNIE HICKS intercepted a pass and recorded 2 tackles for Humboldt State against Azusa Pacific.
- Sophomore defensive back KEITH RODGERS (Valhalla) recorded 7 tackles for the Jamestown Jimmies in a loss to Dickinson State (NC) Blue Hawks.
- VIRNEL MOON, who hails from El Cajon Valley High, had 3 receptions for 73 yards to help Colorado Mesa (Grand Junction) beat New Mexico Highlands 31-6.
- Defensive tackle WILLIAM MILO out of Helix recorded 4 tackles in Colorado Mesa’s knockout of New Mexico Highlands.
- Steele Canyon graduate LAWRENCE DICKENS produced 95 all-purpose including 45 on 3 pass receptions for the Marist College Red Foxes, who edged the Campbell College, Buies Creek, NC, Fighting Camels 13-10.
- University of San Diego, a record-breaking quarterback out of Grossmont High, ANTHONY LAWRENCE completed 15 of 32 passes for 46 yards and a touchdown against the undefeated Dayton Flyers.
- Helix graduate ISAIAH YOUNG, a sophomore defender at the Southern Nazarene Crimson Storm, logged 14 tackles and blocked a punt.