- Shenefield sits down City in career outing
- Eagles win; Patriots dominate
- Patriots clip Eagles; Foothillers tame Cougars
- Sultans claim Jaguar title; Highlanders win Classic tilt
- Roundup: East goes 1-3 on Wednesday
- ROUNDUP: Cougar momentum, Sultan flair, Eagles claw
- Roundup: Granite soars, Cougars roar, Highlanders bite
- 2017 Softball League Previews
- Roundup: Cougars claim Hilltop Tourney via domination
- ROUNDUP: East teams end solid week on high note
Strohl homers, but Griffins nipped in Riverside
- Updated: February 3, 2017
2017 GROSSMONT COLLEGE BASEBALL
Special to EastCountySports.com
RIVERSIDE – Jack Bailey was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh inning and John Gonzalez brought home that go-ahead run as the Riverside City College Tigers edged the visiting Grossmont College Griffins, 4-3, in a non-conference game at the Samuel C. Evans Sports Complex Thursday afternoon (Feb. 2).
Riverside City (3-3 overall) opened a 2-0 lead after three innings on a RBI double in the second inning and a solo home run in the third.
Grossmont (2-2 overall) forged a 2-2 tie in the top of the fourth.
With two outs, freshman DH NIKO NAVARRO (Los Osos HS) was hit by a pitch. Up stepped sophomore 1B NOAH STROHL (La Jolla HS) who promptly banged a 1-1 pitch over the left-center field fence to tie the game for the Griffins.
RCC added a run in the fifth on a RBI groundout before Grossmont tied the game at 3-3 on a RBI groundout by Navarro.
With one on and no outs in the top of the ninth, the next three Grossmont batters were retired on a line out, a fly out and a pop out.
The Griffins travel to Chaffey on Saturday for a noon start. Chaffey is off to a 3-0 start with a game at Southwestern tonight pending.