East County Sports

Hawks fall to No. 3 Marymount for first loss of season

News Photo




Special to EastCountySports.com


WILMINGTON – Playing away from their friendly confines for the first time this season, the No. 3 Mariners of Marymount University were ungracious hosts to the San Diego Christian men’s soccer team as the Hawks fell 4-0 for their first loss of the season.

The four goals were the first four SDC has given up all year, dropping to 4-1 on the season. The Mariners win their first game of the season, improving to 1-2.

Marymount started off with a bang scoring a goal in the 7th minute off a corner kick.

The Hawks were held without a shot towards goal until 25 minutes in, as Pedro Henrique‘s shot went high.

Marymount tallied their second goal with 8:46 remaining in the half to give the Mariners a 2-0 lead just before the break.

SDC couldn’t get anything going in the second half. The Mariners added two goal within nine minutes of each other late in the game.

The Hawks finished with 12 shots in the game, five on goal. Marymount tallied 23 shots with 12 on frame. Ryan Huerta ended with eight saves on the night.

SDC will welcome Cal State San Marcos on Saturday at 10 a.m. at the Santee Sportsplex.


News Photo



San Diego Christian drops 3-1 exhibition against San Diego State

Special to EastCountySports.com 

SAN DIEGO – Alex Saliba scored the equalizer in the 56th minute, but the San Diego State Men’s Soccer team scored two unanswered goals in four minutes to defeat the Hawks 3-1 Friday night in front of a crowd of over 400.

The win improves the Aztecs to a 2-0 record while the Hawks labeled this game as an exhibition and will not reflect their overall record with the loss.

SDSU tallied four shots in the opening 27 minutes and finally broke through with their fifth shot in the 28th minute to give the Aztecs a 1-0 lead. Matheus Arrieta had the best opportunity to net the equalizer in the first half but his header was saved by the Aztec keeper. SDSU outshot the Hawks 9-2 in the first half.

In the 56th minute, Borja Suarez neatly passed a through ball between the SDSU defenders onto a running Saliba. Saliba beat the Aztec defenders and his shot went off the keeper’s hand and into the goal for the 1-1 tie.

After surviving all of the attacks and shots from SDSU, the Aztecs finally broke through in the 77th minute to take a 2-1 lead. Four minutes later, the Aztecs tallied an insurance goal and staved off any potential comeback from the Hawks.

SDC tallied four shots in the game compared to 20 by SDSU. Ryan Huerta allowed the three goals but tallied three saves in the 90 minutes between the posts.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *