- Shenefield sits down City in career outing
- Eagles win; Patriots dominate
- Patriots clip Eagles; Foothillers tame Cougars
- Sultans claim Jaguar title; Highlanders win Classic tilt
- Roundup: East goes 1-3 on Wednesday
- ROUNDUP: Cougar momentum, Sultan flair, Eagles claw
- Roundup: Granite soars, Cougars roar, Highlanders bite
- 2017 Softball League Previews
- Roundup: Cougars claim Hilltop Tourney via domination
- ROUNDUP: East teams end solid week on high note
Helix finishes atop final U-T football poll
- Updated: December 7, 2015
EastCountySports.com staff report
SAN DIEGO – The Helix Highlanders garnered all 24 first-place votes following their championship win over St. Augustine in the Open Division final last Friday.
No other East County teams cracked the final top ten, but Valhalla finished 15th in the poll, while Granite Hills finished 18th.
This is the last local poll of the season although the Highlanders’ season continues Friday with a prep bowl playoff game at undefeated Mission Viejo on Friday night
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
SPORTSWRITERS/SPORTSCASTERS PREP FOOTBALL POLL
First-place votes in parenthesis
Points awarded on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis
- Helix (24) / 11-1/ 240/ 2
- St. Augustine/ 10-3/ 214 / 3
- Mission Hills / 11-1/ 185 / 1
- Rancho Bernardo/11-2/ 133/5
- Oceanside/ 9-4/ 130/ NR
- Madison / 8-3/ 94/ 5
- Bonita Vista/11-2/88 /NR
- Cathedral Catholic/ 6-5/ 85 / 6
- Mater Dei Catholic/12-1*/ 64/ 10
- Carlsbad/ 7- 4/ 31 / 7
* Mater Dei’s record includes a forfeit loss
Others receiving votes: Mt. Carmel (30 points, 9-4), El Camino (8 points, 7-6), Mission Bay (5 points, 10-3), La Costa Canyon (4 points, 7-4), Valhalla (3 points, 9-3), Point Loma (3 points, 8-4), Eastlake (2 points, 5-6), Granite Hills (1 point, 9-2), San Marcos (1 point, 7-4), Coronado (1 points, 9-4).
24 sportswriters, sportscasters and CIF representatives from throughout the county vote in the weekly poll. This year’s panel includes: John Maffei (San Diego Union-Tribune), Steve Brand, Terry Monahan, Don Norcross, Jim Lindgren, Tom Saxe and Rick Hoff (San Diego Union-Tribune stringers), Michael Bower (Pomerado News), Bill Dickens and Chris Davis (EastCountySports.com), Steve Dolan (Mountain Country 107.9-FM), John Kentera, Ted Mendenhall and Bob Petinak (The Mighty 1090), Rick Willis and Brandon Stone (KUSI-TV), Rick Smith (Partletonsports.com), Jerry Schniepp and John Labeta (CIF San Diego Section office), Bodie DeSilva (sandiegopreps.com), Drew Smith (sdcoastalsports.com), Lisa Lane (San Diego Prep Insider), Raymond Brown (sdfootball.net), R. Pena, C. Smith and M. Allen (MBASports-SDFNL Magazine).